Our family of 3

Our family of 3

Monday, October 17, 2011

Budgeting

I just want to make a shout out to all those people who are budgeting.
After being inspired by Dave Ramsey (google him...now).  We came up with a budget.  I know every family is different and is able to budget differently, which seems weird to me because to me budgeting used to mean "you can't buy anything but groceries and gas for your car".  But I'm learning that when you budget well and within your means it means you know where you're money is going and you are keeping good track of it, staying in within the boundaries you set.  It doesn't mean you can't ever buy a shirt, it just means, "let's wait until the middle or end of the month" and instead of going to Ann Taylor Loft, buy it at Target...or not at all.  Budgeting for us means netflix is cheaper than cable...our "tv bill" is $16/month (hulu has anything we would really want to watch anyway)!  It means bringing your lunch every day instead of eating out and saying "no" to starbucks unless you have a giftcard.  We have absolutely dominated our grocery bill for the past two months and it's a good feeling.  Family of 2= under $130.  Thank you Aldi, we couldn't have done it without you.
It also means planning ahead.  Like Dave Ramsey says "Christmas does not sneak up on you.  It happens every year.".  So we have been planning accordingly for that and a few other things we know are coming up.  It's nice to not fear finances.
Dave Ramsey also encourages families to make a little extra $ wherever they can.  Well, we discovered Half Priced Books...okay so we didn't discover it but the actual store is only 2 miles from us.  We sold some books and DVDs we don't use for $40!

So yeah for budgets!  You should make one too!

2 comments:

  1. Ok, Joaquim and I MUST go to Half Priced Books asap!! Thanks for the idea. :)

    I have been thinking about trying out more consignment store shopping for clothes lately. I have tried to shop cheaper for clothes that are on sale or at Target, etc. but I am finding that I just don't love the things that are within my price range. I heard someone on the radio say you should never buy clothes on sale because you tend to be more in love with the price than the item, and if you pay $10 for a shirt that doesn't look great on you just because it was cheap, you probably won't wear it much, and won't be thrilled with it when you do. She suggested looking at upscale consignment stores for higher quality clothes at prices similar to Target, etc. I think I could also find more fun accessories at places like that for much cheaper. Maybe we should try it out together some time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with not liking the shirt but only if you are buying it because it is on sale. When I go to Target or Kohls (super low prices when you have a coupon) I look at what I like first then the price. If it's out of my budget then I whine a little but I don't get it.

    ReplyDelete