Our family of 3

Our family of 3

Saturday, July 5, 2014

Fourth of July shenanigans and little voices in my head.

Fourth of July fun!
We're excited for next year when Josiah can go get the candy...we're taking a 25% cut.  
Our little space was surrounded by news vans covering the Arlington Heights parade.  We got interviewed by Craig Dellimore from WBBM radio.  That was kind of fun.  Except Wes thought I lied to Craig Dellimore about having sunscreen.  Pssh.  We had sunscreen.
A nice family was next to us.  I joked with the mom about parents taking a cut of the candy.  This started a conversation about all of the food dyes in candy.  To be quite honest, I don't care that much because I would drive myself crazy with what is considered healthy today and how we're all going to get cancer and die if I feed my kids something that was kept in plastic #5.  I want to be aware and using good judgement, but not crazy.  Anyway, what was interesting to me was that she was justifying her kids getting candy from the parade by saying they would be making crafts with them instead.  She didn't need to justify.  Candy is awesome.  I wouldn't have judged her if she told me her kids were going to have it for dinner.  Then I started to think about all of the things I try to justify to people, who quite frankly, probably don't even care.  Why do I do that?  Because I'm too concerned with what people think.
Josiah is cranky... 
what I say -"he skipped a nap today, sorry!" 
what I think people think "what a bad cranky baby, remind me never to go over to the Johnson's."

I didn't return a voicemail within 48 hours... 
what I say-"New baby, crazy-busy life, so sorry!" 
what I think people think "she is so self-absorbed with the baby that she can't even return a phone call?"

We're late arriving somewhere...
what I say - "He needed to be change just as we were leaving, sorry!" 
what I think people think "another new family that won't ever be on time for anything again."

Wearing a new shirt that someone comments on...
what I say - "I didn't buy it, it was a gift" (most likely from my thoughtful and generous mom).
what I think people think "I thought they were on a budget, why does she go out shopping?"

Ugh.  One of the bigger struggles in my life.



No comments:

Post a Comment