Our family of 3

Our family of 3

Thursday, July 10, 2014

"Of Motherhood and Me"

4 Months Old


I thought babies meant constant crying, vomit, and poop.
There are days...there are certainly days...
I thought it meant no personal time-ever.  No time to read a book, talk to a friend on the phone, or chat with my husband.
There are weeks that leave me stranded on the island of "Everything goes out the window because baby needs you", but it's because Wes and I are the only two people in the entire world who have been entrusted with Josiah and he NEEDS us with everything in him RIGHT NOW.


Those first few weeks I thought "I can't do this.  I don't sleep, I can barely function, I haven't eaten more than one meal a day in 3 days".  But thanks to the help of my amazing husband, great friends, and fabulous family, that went away...or at least wasn't so heightened.  


Precious lessons I've learned in 4 months 
"Of Motherhood and Me..."
Disclaimer - These lessons pertain to our family.  Every family is different.  Every baby is different.

A schedule saved my life.  
I was told early on that even thinking of going on a schedule before 4 or 5 months was useless.  After a very difficult day one month in, I mean tears from morning to night (and he was unhappy too) I decided that we were going to go for it.  Three days later it was like magic.  I like structure and apparently my baby does too.  I've actually finished books!  Wes and I have had conversations!  And I've had hour-long conversations on the phone!

Structure is my friend.
After seeing a really cool MOPS project from a friend, I decided to make one of my own.  It has helped to ease the 4 o'clock stress of "what am I making for dinner??" as J is crying because he's hungry, the dishes haven't been done, and my phone is ringing.


It is not failure to say "It's hard".
I was a bit of a wreck those first few weeks.  I am thankful for friends who could see through the unintentional facade and stopped over in between services on Sundays or made a Target run for me knowing what I needed without even asking.  Medicinal help to even out the emotions and hormones was what helped bring me back to Earth.  This is the biggest transition we'll ever go through.  I take advil for a headache...I don't always just suffer through when I need nyquil, so yes, I'm going to treat the imbalance that giving birth has done to my body.

I ask for advice, but don't compare.
I am constantly asking friends what they did when "fill in the blank".  That is the GREAT thing about having community.  We tried what this person did, didn't work.  We tried what this person did, didn't work either.  Ah, yes, what this friend did worked for us too.  It's wonderful to hear "it'll happen to you too, he WILL sleep 12 hours eventually".  What a wonderful thing to be encouraged.  I am so thankful for community.

I would never make it if it weren't for the Lord and his blessing of an incredibly husband.
Enough said.


No comments:

Post a Comment