Our family of 3

Our family of 3

Thursday, November 10, 2011

My lessons in Philippians

Everywhere I turn around Philippians is being taught in my life...okay maybe not everywhere but 2 places sure is a lot.  The other morning I attempted to memorize 2:14-15...I'm ashamed to say I don't memorize scripture.  I don't feel a challenge to do so like I did as a little kid.  Growing up Lutheran, we had to memorize or not pass confirmation.  They probably would have passed us anyway but the pressure was on and we memorized...a lot too.
I forgot how difficult it can be.  I chose this particular verse because it is definitely something I need to have in my head and my heart as I am not daily surrounded by Christians...and it's different than high school.  Now I'm on the younger side by a few decades which makes being a light that much more difficult when it's seen as ignorance or innocence.
It's so easy for me to forget that I have tools to bring joy and light into the environment I'm in and reminders that at 26, I am not to be looked down upon because I am young (I totally thought I wouldn't need to know that verse after high school)  I just don't take time to read and learn about it!
Interesting enough I have consistently been around people who spend time in the word every day.  (God knows I need this reminder!)  Growing up it was my mom-every morning!  Now it's Wes, who in attitude to me demonstrates my verse daily by not complaining about all the chores that have fallen to him this semester in addition to his full-time school load.  What a solid-in-my-face reminder.  I needed that.  It's a humbling challenge for me.  As my days get difficult and I come home exhausted, it's a reminder that I probably didn't rely on the one I should have...instead I relied on myself.
I'm so glad I have these consistent reminders in my life...but I'm still a work in progress in that area...and in the area I need this verse for...and in just about every area of my life.

"Do all things without grumbling or disputing; so that you will prove yourselves to be blameless and innocent, children of God above reproach in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom you appear as lights in the world..."

Ph 2:14-15

If you see me...ask me how the memorizing is going...accountability is never a bad thing...

No comments:

Post a Comment